Monday 10 November 2008

Conformists?

There's so much emphasis on being "yourself" nowadays. People pride themselves on being different from everyone else, listening to "unpopular, underground" music that noone's heard of. But as soon as the band goes mainstream, the fans run away claiming they've sold out to the masses.

No they haven't, they've just made it that's all.

What we don't seem to get is that by all being individuals were all conforming to individualism. Of course if you say this you'll be shouted down, but it's true. People still dress the same, listen to the same types of music, just as they did 40 years ago. Nothing's changed people!

And I realise that I listen to different music myself, but mine will never become popular in a million years so I don't have anything to worry about.

So, life is going fan-bloody-tastic. Apart from A levels I can't think of a thing wrong. Apart from the fact I'm ginger, but there's not much I can do about that.

And if someone says I should dye my hair, so help them...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

i made a similar point on my blog sometime ago "why is it so cool do be original now? ppl act certain ways becos over time we have learnt that thinking or acting in these ways are praaaaactical..so why do we reli need to think out the box? infact with everybody tryin their best to be original the most truly original ppl are those who think practically and traditionally..god bless the BNP!" ofcors it was a coffee induced ramble and with racist tendencies, but tis good to see some1 shares my view point:)

Flame said...

I agree with you here, 100%. Many people try to act "cool" by listening to "cool" music, wearing "cool" clothes and...what the heck, eating "cool" food! (Sorry, that was horrible, but I ran out of ideas to fill that rule of 3.) Using your example, Amy Winehouse used to be edgy and popular, and now that she's gone mainstream people take pleasure in abusing here, when 99.9% of them probably haven't ever met her except in Hello and OK!-type magazines. The coolest people are by far those who do their own things, and listen to their own music, be it conforming to what is cool or not. Long live jazz! :)

By the way, don't dye your hair. Rip it out.

Flame said...

...although Madonna is fully mainstream and only god knows why she's so popular. The whore.

thew said...

good points good points =) even though the beatles are the most popular band in the world, does me being the only member of our group who likes them make me an unconformist?

Unknown said...

no