Monday 11 January 2010

Simmonds Eh What?

That'll probably be the title to my first album, an homage to the great Charles Mingus' "Mingus Ah Um." First I actually have to write some music, which sounds much too like work to me. It's going to be a long year.

Well, it's now 2010. "Really?!" I hear you shout sarcastically. Well, yes, really, it is. So far it's been an odd start to the year. Precipitation seems to have brought the country to its knees - a Polish girl at halls today told me that the BBC abroad were calling this an "Armageddon for the Englishman" - but it does look rather beautiful, and makes a change from the drizzle that usually plagues us at this time of year. People just have to man up and resolve to at least TRY and get to work through the rather thin layer of snow and ice still pervading in London.

This really annoyed me on Thursday - I went to the bank to open my Student Account (I know, I should have probably dealt with it earlier, but I'm a disorganised sod) through the then slightly thicker snow and ice. Having struggled there for about 20 minutes, I waited in line for another 15 before eventually arriving at a cashier's desk.

"Hi, I'd like to open a Student Account please."

"I'm sorry, due to adverse weather conditions none of our financial advisors could make it in today..."

Proceed to hit head in frustration against whatever I can find.

If I hear that one more thing in London has been shut due to "adverse weather conditions" I shall give up hope and move to America, like my forefathers.

They didn't go to America, but some of them went to Ireland.

Well, I was going to say something else, but in my rage I have forgotten what I was going to say. So let's move on to Pogs.

Does anyone remember Pogs? They were the first big craze that I can remember, but I don't really remember what they were, apart from round pieces of cardboard with a scary picture on them. I was talking to someone on Facebook about them, and apparently you had to have a massive plastic Pog to play and win Pogs off of other people, but I never had one, which explains why I never really excelled...

I'm back in Hampstead now (NW3 BRAP!!!) and very pleased to say I have no work, revision or exams to do, which I know will piss off all the other Hampstead Halls residents. Let me just say, it's not so easy having all this time off. I have nothing to do, and no imagination with which to fill up my day. Next time you're working hard, stressing about exams, take a moment to think just how hard it is for me at the moment. Thank you.

Well, I've taken up enough of your time for now, 'til next time, keep warm, don't eat yellow snow, and respect ginger people. We have feelings too.

No comments: